October 13, 2009

Choose Peace & Be in the Moment!


I remember a moment in early January many years ago, standing in a crowd at my grandfather’s funeral on a cold and windy grey day in Canada. Everyone’s heads were bowed and I felt the sun on my hair. I looked up and took the scene in. I remember taking a deep breath, closing my eyes and feeling the wind and loud howl of it whip around me.

The sun glowed through a thin area of cloud and I accepted its warmth. I kept my eyes closed and my head tilted back slowing my breath. I continued to listen to the service and was aware of the clouds moving by, the sound of the leaves of the trees. I heard sounds of crying and the feeling of tension and loss and grief that also stood among us in the crowd. Yet, I felt peace spread through me.

Another time, I found myself on a busy street and a crowd of people were pushing passed me. I became captivated by this artist who was on the other side of the street. I slowly made my way through the crowd and stood there to his left watching how he created this beautiful landscape right there on that dirty loud street. The artist and the crowd around him were oblivious to the noise and outside contact. It was extraordinary.

What I have learned from these two examples is that being present is about detaching from what we want or wish we were getting from the moment. That it is about accepting and finding peace with what is and not struggling with what isn’t or begging for answers about why something is not.

Being present is about using all of your senses to gather information about the moment. It is about getting quiet even when faced with a challenge or chaotic situation. It is about breathing and listening and finding love, harmony and gratitude in whatever situation that is presented. It is about embracing the moment fully in its perfection.

"Peace is its own reward." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wishing you peace today and fulfilling moments!

Embrace your Life!

Kelly McIntyre M.Sc.
Life/Career Coach
www.embraceyourlife.ca

1 comment:

Simply Jenn said...

That was so beautifully written. And so true : ) Thanks for sharing!